Skip to main content

Dutch prosecutors want 12-year sentence for cricketer accused of placing bounty on populist figurehead Wilders

Dutch prosecutors demanded a 12-year prison sentence Tuesday for a former Pakistani cricketer accused of incitement to murder firebrand anti-Islam lawmaker Geert Wilders.

The suspect, identified by Wilders as Khalid Latif, is accused of offering a bounty of some 21,000 euros ($23,000) to anybody who killed Wilders.

Latif did not appear in the high-security courtroom near Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport for the trial. He is believed to be in Pakistan.

NETHERLANDS AND DENMARK TO GIVE LONG PLEADED-FOR F-16S TO UKRAINE

Prosecutors did not name Latif, but said in a statement that a video posted online in 2018 showed a famous Pakistan cricketer offering the money for killing Wilders. The lawmaker has lived under round-the-clock protection for years because of repeated threats to his life sparked by his fierce criticism of Islam.

The threat came after Wilders said he would organize a competition of cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad. Many Muslims consider any depictions of Muhammad to be blasphemous. Ultimately, the contest did not go ahead, but the plan sparked outrage in the Muslim world.

"The video message was extra toxic because it was issued during a period in which there was a lot of hatred and anger towards Geert Wilders," the Public Prosecution Service in The Hague said in its written statement.

The prosecution office said that killing Wilders would not just have "caused unbearable pain to his loved ones. It would also have been an attack on the rule of law itself."

Wilders said in court that a conviction would send a "powerful signal to all other others who issue threats: we won't accept it."

NETHERLANDS EXPANDS EUTHANASIA LAWS TO INCLUDE TERMINALLY ILL CHILDREN AS YOUNG AS 1 YEAR OLD

And in comments he addressed directly to Latif, he added: "As long as I'm living and breathing, you won't stop me. Your call to kill me and pay money for it is abject and will not silence me."

An international warrant has been issued for Latif's arrest. Dutch prosecutors said they had been trying to contact him since 2018, first as a witness and then to answer the charges. However, they said they hadn't received any reply from the Pakistani authorities.

In 2017, Latif, 37, was banned for five years from all forms of cricket for his role in a match-fixing scandal in the Pakistan Super League.

Tuesday's case comes at a time when parts of the Muslim world have been angered by a series of Quran burnings in Sweden. Swedish police have allowed the demonstrations, citing freedom of speech, but have filed preliminary hate speech charges against a refugee from Iraq who has carried out a series of such desecrations.



from Latest World News on Fox News https://ift.tt/uJZMp7g
https://ift.tt/SlU3B7H

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E. Jean Carroll Says Trump ‘Shattered’ Her Reputation as He Watches in Court

By Maria Cramer via NYT U.S. https://ift.tt/7XH3onr

Daredevil skydiver makes perfect landing on bizarre pool toy: 'Coming for ya'

A daredevil skydiver in the UK made an incredible landing on an inflatable unicorn pool toy, video shows.  Jan Zackl was among a handful of skydivers who participated in an event in Langar, Nottinghamshire, who tried to land on the inflatable unicorn, which looks like it would normally be floating on a pool  "It is safe and it's just a more slippery landing. It was only open to people who had done at least 200 jumps previously - they were the requirements," Hannah Parker of Skydive Langar said of the scene, according to the BBC.  WINGSUIT SKYDIVER IN FRANCE DECAPITATED BY AIRCRAFT'S WING MOMENTS AFTER JUMPING FROM PLANE: REPORTS "It goes very fast and takes a lot of accuracy." The floatie was positioned on a slip-and-slide styled platform, and the video showed Zackl coming in at a high speed before making a turn and lining up with the makeshift landing strip.  TENNESSEE SKYDIVER DIES AFTER ACCIDENT AT HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL'S MUSKET BOWL GAME Zack...

DNA test confirms Yevgeny Prigozhin was aboard crashed jet, Russia says

Russian investigators say DNA testing confirms that Russian warlord Yevgeny Prigozhin was aboard the small jet that crashed outside Moscow under mysterious circumstances last week. Russia's Investigation Committee confirmed the identities of all 10 people aboard the craft, which also included Prigozhin's second in command, Dmitry Utkin. Investigators have yet to offer an explanation for why the plane crashed. "As part of the investigation of the plane crash in the Tver region, molecular-genetic examinations have been completed," Russia's Investigative Committee said in a statement. "According to their results, the identities of all 10 dead were established. They correspond to the list stated in the flight sheet." Prigozhin's private jet plummeted out of the sky on Wednesday in the Tver region outside Moscow. Residents of a village near the crash site say they heard an "explosion" in the air before the jet come down. WAGNER TROOPS MOURN...