Skip to main content

China will no longer require negative COVID-19 test for incoming travelers

China will no longer require a negative COVID-19 test result for incoming travelers starting Wednesday, a milestone in its reopening to the rest of the world after a three-year isolation that began with the country’s borders closing in March 2020.

Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin announced the change at a briefing in Beijing on Monday.

China in January ended quarantine requirements for its citizens traveling from abroad, and over the past few months has gradually expanded the list of countries that Chinese people can travel to and increased the number of international flights.

BOEING SET TO RESUME 737 MAX JET DELIVERIES TO CHINA AFTER 4-YEAR PAUSE

Beijing ended its tough domestic "zero COVID" policy only in December, after years of draconian curbs that at times included full-city lockdowns and lengthy quarantines for people who were infected.

The restrictions slowed the world’s second-largest economy, leading to rising unemployment and rare instances of unrest.

As part of those measures, incoming travelers were required to isolate for weeks at government-designated hotels.

US APPROVES $12B ARMS PACKAGE FOR POLAND INCLUDING APACHE HELICOPTERS

Protests in major cities including Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Nanjing erupted in November over the COVID curbs, in the most direct challenge to the Communist Party’s rule since the Tiananmen protests of 1989.

In early December, authorities abruptly scrapped most COVID controls, ushering in a wave of infections that overwhelmed hospitals and morgues.

A U.S. federally funded study this month found the abrupt dismantling of the "zero COVID" policy may have led to nearly 2 million excess deaths in the following two months. That number greatly exceeds official estimates of 60,000 deaths within a month of the lifting of the curbs.

During the years of "zero COVID," local authorities occasionally imposed snap lockdowns in attempts to isolate infections. People were trapped inside offices and apartment buildings. In some cases widely discussed on social media, authorities sealed residents’ doors with wires and bolts to try to stop the virus from spreading.

From April until June last year, the city of Shanghai locked down its 25 million residents in one of the world’s largest pandemic-related mass lockdowns. Residents were required to take frequent PCR tests and had to rely on government food supplies, often described as insufficient.

Throughout the pandemic, Beijing touted its "zero COVID" policy -– and the initial relatively low number of infections -– as an example of the superiority of China’s political system over that of Western democracies.



from Latest World News on Fox News https://ift.tt/JptBKQT
https://ift.tt/0bZSJco

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E. Jean Carroll Says Trump ‘Shattered’ Her Reputation as He Watches in Court

By Maria Cramer via NYT U.S. https://ift.tt/7XH3onr

Daredevil skydiver makes perfect landing on bizarre pool toy: 'Coming for ya'

A daredevil skydiver in the UK made an incredible landing on an inflatable unicorn pool toy, video shows.  Jan Zackl was among a handful of skydivers who participated in an event in Langar, Nottinghamshire, who tried to land on the inflatable unicorn, which looks like it would normally be floating on a pool  "It is safe and it's just a more slippery landing. It was only open to people who had done at least 200 jumps previously - they were the requirements," Hannah Parker of Skydive Langar said of the scene, according to the BBC.  WINGSUIT SKYDIVER IN FRANCE DECAPITATED BY AIRCRAFT'S WING MOMENTS AFTER JUMPING FROM PLANE: REPORTS "It goes very fast and takes a lot of accuracy." The floatie was positioned on a slip-and-slide styled platform, and the video showed Zackl coming in at a high speed before making a turn and lining up with the makeshift landing strip.  TENNESSEE SKYDIVER DIES AFTER ACCIDENT AT HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL'S MUSKET BOWL GAME Zack...

DNA test confirms Yevgeny Prigozhin was aboard crashed jet, Russia says

Russian investigators say DNA testing confirms that Russian warlord Yevgeny Prigozhin was aboard the small jet that crashed outside Moscow under mysterious circumstances last week. Russia's Investigation Committee confirmed the identities of all 10 people aboard the craft, which also included Prigozhin's second in command, Dmitry Utkin. Investigators have yet to offer an explanation for why the plane crashed. "As part of the investigation of the plane crash in the Tver region, molecular-genetic examinations have been completed," Russia's Investigative Committee said in a statement. "According to their results, the identities of all 10 dead were established. They correspond to the list stated in the flight sheet." Prigozhin's private jet plummeted out of the sky on Wednesday in the Tver region outside Moscow. Residents of a village near the crash site say they heard an "explosion" in the air before the jet come down. WAGNER TROOPS MOURN...